Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Do you see what I see?

Have you seen the video of the Autistic girl who learns to type to communicate? It cemented some thoughts for me, internet.

Many of you have heard me rail against typical therapies for atypical people. The goal of therapy must be to help the individual, to exploit their gifts and talents, not to make them more "table ready" for society.

My son is smart. He's funny and musically talented. He's emotional and expressive. He can learn. He just doesn't go about life the same way the rest of us do. And therein lies the huge fucking problem.

I believe we are going about this the wrong way. Carly, the teenaged girl who speaks through her keyboard and my sweet son and all the rest of you incredible people should not be IQ tested. Should not be asked to do things the way typicals do them. Should not be held to the same standards of behavior or social rules.

We need to meet them, not force them to catch up or worse, leave them behind. We need to think like them, they don't need to think like us.

I'm not quite finished with this... There will be letters written and videos made. There will be loud speeches and pontifications. There will be some hell raised.

No comments: