Sunday, June 20, 2010

Firstborn

I know how lucky I am that I have Ruby loving me. And she LOVES me. A gift of the brilliant and articulate child is that they can trot out their fancy words and imaginings and complicated thoughts and share them with you.

Today she laid some pretty heavy helpings of deliciousness on me and it felt so good to be alone with her in the car, stroking the back of her neck hearing how happy she is that I'm her mama.

After a bit she says: "you know, Penelope is special. Really special. You go and see her in her kindergarten class and she *seems* like a regular five year old... but she isn't. And Lincoln, that Lincoln! He's going to make the best old man & his grandkids (if he has any) are going to just love him."

A few minutes after that, she goes: "I think I'm going to adopt. I mean, you make childbirth sound pretty incredible, I just don't think it's for me".

She's 10 and I so want to be her when I grow up.

No comments: